Winter has officially arrived and the South Porcupine Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) wants to ensure drivers are prepared and safe during the upcoming snowy season while traveling on the roads.
The OPP is reminding motorists to take their time to prepare themselves and their vehicles for safe winter driving as we head into the winter months.
Tips to remember:
- Have an ice scraper or snow brush to ensure all windows and lights are clear prior to leaving
- Install proper winter tires to provide better traction, control and reduce stopping distances on snow covered and icy roads
- Have a well-stocked emergency supply kit including jumper cables, first aid kit, blankets, shovel and flashlight
- Allow extra time for travelling when weather and road conditions warrant it.
- Slow down and adjust your driving to the current road and weather conditions.
- Leave extra space between vehicles
- Snowplows cause reduced visibility due to blowing snow. Please be patient!
The OPP is also reminding motorists to refrain from calling 911 or the Provincial Communications Centre for road conditions. Road conditions are available on the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario web site: www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/conditions or call 511.
You are responsible for your vehicle and it is up to you to remain in control at all times. By doing so, you reduce the risk of injuring yourself or others on the roadways. We want you to reach your destination safely for you and your loved ones.